This project involves the restoration of the existing Rare Stones Museum on the island of Sentosa, which is situated between the Tourism Academy and the Sijori Hotel, both of which are conserved buildings. The existing two-storey colonial-style building was built in 1937.
The building was adapted for reuse as an in-house training institute for CapitaLand, and restoration criteria required that the existing facade be retained. As a learning centre for continuous knowledge transfer and professional development among its employees, it houses a series of lecture rooms, seminar rooms, a 52-seat theatrette and offices. The design for the interior spaces adopted a modern approach while preserving the façade of the building.
The exterior compound is lushly landscaped with an outdoor terrace fronting the main artillery road. The building also embraces many green features. An efficient construction method that uses steel trusses for the restoration of the roof instead of conventional concrete helped shorten the construction time. It also served as an alternative construction material during a period when there was a shortage of sand. Much emphasis was placed on water and energy conservation, with an innovative rainwater harvesting system forming part of the design.