Built in 1908, the Central Fire Station is the oldest functioning fire station in Singapore, providing fire-fighting, ambulance and rescue services for the central district. Through the years, the station has gone through many rounds of extensive renovations and extensions to enhance its functionality and to keep it in sync with the times. Its most recent renewal, which follows its gazetted status as a National Monument in 1998, not only gives it a new breath of life, but also restores it to its monumental condition.
This redevelopment involves the replacement of the firemen quarters that is of little conservation value, erection of a new extension block for new modern facilities, and major renovation to the existing blocks. The main block returns to its original William Ferguson design of 1908, with part of it being converted into a Heritage Gallery displaying antique fire-fighting equipment.
The end result was a revitalised fire-fighting facility that not only meets its daily operational demands, but significantly enshrines an important part of Singapore's history.
|SIA Architectural Design Awards 2004 (Honourable Mention)|
|SIA Micro Design Awards 2003 (Merit)|
|SIA-ICI Colour Awards 2004 (Bronze)|
|URA Architectural Heritage Awards 2002|